Monday Madness - Driving me coo-coo!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Today is Monday Madness. The frustrations I have regarding my Gr Gr Grandfather are huge! Sometimes I feel like I am obsessed with being a detective trying to figure him out. Believe me at this point, I am way farther along than I was a couple of years ago which is a good thing.

When reading the blogs from fellow blog members I keep hoping I will come across something that will totally "click". If any one is interested, please read the following on what I do have on him.

My gr gr grandfather, Andrew S. Davis was born in Hardy County, Virginia April of 1821 according to his civil war pension file records. We also found from those records he could not read or write. We stil have no idea what his middle name is except for the letter "S".

Here is the deal. I have no idea who his parents are or if he had any siblings. The next record we found after the supposed date of birth is in Des Moines, Iowa area. He enlisted in the civil war at the age of 40, survived the war and mustered out a full corporal at the end of the war in Louisville, KY in 1865.

I have found a census record of him living with Uriah White and his family before the civil war. One daughter was names Hanah. Later - Andrew's son, George W Davis (b1872 d 1932) is listed in a census living with Uriah White and his daughter Hanah when George was about 13 years old. I'm trying to figure out the connection there as well.

After the war, he married Anna (Schafer) Needham, (second marriage for her)in Nov of 1866 in Polk County, Des Moines, Iowa. He lived out the rest of his life in the Des Moines area and is buried in the Woodland Cemetery in Des Moines. Date of death, Nov 24, 1898.

Anna and Andrew also had a daughter named Zena. B 4/30/1870 D 06/06/1932. She married Benjamin F Gifford on Oct 26, 1891 in Des Moines, Iowa. They ever had any children.

From what I have tried, there are no birth or death records available for him.

I would love any information and/or photo's.

0 comments: