Interlibrary Loan - I am shocked!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Well shame on me for not trying this before!  I really wanted a book that was recommended to me by a new cousin I found.  It had to do with our family history.  So I went online to see if my library had it and of course the did not.  While on their website I noticed inter-library loan.  So I clicked on that and it took me to a page where I had to create a separate log-in in order to use it so I signed  up.

Then I searched for the book and it took me to Wildcat, a huge on-line library.  You can find any book on it and what libraries have it.  They even tell you how many miles away it is!  So I found the book I wanted. It was clear off in Texas and I live in Oregon.  They guided me through the steps and I completed my request.

I really must say - it worked!  Two weeks later, my local library e-mailed me telling me the book was there and ready for pick up.  Sure enough it was!  Plus - there was no charge!  Yipee!!

This book is fat.  It is amazing and I was able to find my ancestor's easily.  Just what my new cousin said.  There are no extensions for borrowing the book, so I'll need to return it to my library in about three weeks.

This is an amazing service.  If you have not done this before you should try it.  I'm sure a lot of you are laughing because you have used it many times.  I want to encourage those who are just like me to try it out.  You will be amazed.

Happy Hunting.

2 comments:

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

I am a HUGE proponent of interlibrary loan. It doesn't always work but when it does, the results are great. Enjoy your book!

Nathan Hellman said...

Interlibrary Loan is so helpful! It's been a key necessity for research in college and seminary.