"I don't want to play in your yard........"

Monday, March 28, 2011


Do you remember this song? Earlier this month my sisters and me got together in California for a few days. What a blast we had. Anyway - during one of our car trips my sister Sandy starting singing this song and asked if we remembered it. Yes we did and came up with most of the lyrics to it as well all chiming in together singing the song. That peaked my curiosity. When I came home to Oregon, I went on line to get the lyrics. Here they are.

CHORUS
"I don't want to play in your yard
I don't like you any more,
You'll be sorry when you see me,
Sliding down our cellar door;
You can't holler down our rain barrel,
You can't climb our apple tree,
I don't want to play in your yard
If you won't be good to me."

We thought it was so mean. If we were the little girls, we would have really been hurt by our best friend saying these things to us! This was just the chorus. Supposedly there are some more words here:

Once there lived side by side, two little maids,
Used to dress just alike, hair down in braids;
Blue ging'am pinafores, stockings of red,
Little sun bonnets tied on each pretty head.
When school was over, secrets they'd tell,
Whispering arm in arm, down by the well.
One day a quarrel came, hot tears were shed:
"You can't play in our yard,"
But the other said:


Next day two little maids each other miss;
Quarrels are soon made up, sealed with a kiss.
Then hand in hand again, happy they go,
Friends all thro' life to be, they love each other so.
Soon school days pass away, sorrows and bliss,
But love remembers yet, quarrels and kiss;
In sweet dreams of childhood, we hear the cry:
"You can't play in our yard,"
And the old reply: CHORUS

It was good to see the girls made up and were friends again.


Another amazing thing is "I Don't want to Play in Your Yard was published in 1894, words by Philip Wingate and music by H.W. Petrie.

Wow!
For you enjoyment you can listen to the song here.

Note: Picture comes from The Graphics Fairy

0 comments: