Ancestor Approved Award

Tuesday, December 7, 2010






Wow! What a surprise when I received an e-mail from Cheri Daniels of Journeys Past who awarded me the Ancestor Approved Award. I am excited, shocked, surprised and amazed since I consider myself new at blogging. Thank you Cheri! I will consider this a birthday present. (I'm a December child)





This award comes with the requirement that you pay it forward the following two ways.



1. List 10 things that you have learned about your ancestors that surprised, humbled or enlightened you.



2. Pass the award to 10 other genealogy bloggers.



So here are the 10 things I have learned about my ancestors.


1. Even though my great grandpa (Andrew Davis) is a brick wall I have been able to figure out where he was born from his Civil War Military papers, that he was wounded in the war, and that he was a flag holder in the Grand Army Parade. His parents are still a complete mystery.



2. My great grandparents who came from Sweden had a child that died before she was two years old. It was a thrill to visit all of their gravestones in Crown Hill Cemetery, Ruthven, Iowa.


3. I was amazed to learn from the obituary of my great great great grandmother (Anna Quivey) that sixty teams (of horses) followed the procession to her burial in Hazelwood Cemetery, Grinnell, Iowa. This is a cemetery I visited and was able to actually stand beside her gravestone. It is an amazing feeling to stand where so many ancestors stood mourning their loved ones.



4. It was thrilling to actually see a photo of my great great great grandfather Linus Quivey. This came from a fourth cousin I found. He was on a horse!



5. The new cousins are fantastic! I just love finding the cousins and comparing information. Three new ones cropped up this year.


6. It was a mystery how my great grandfather David H Quivey died at the age of 30 years old, leaving five children and a wife who never remarried. He died of typhoid fever. This coming from a dear fellow genealogy lady in Iowa who did some research for me.


7. Another great great great grandfather John Merritt, came to Iowa and staked his claim on a parcel of land by tearing off a big chunk of bark from a tree and writing his name on it. He then went back to New York to bring his family to the newly discovered land. It is awesome the bark and claim was still there, waiting his return. This information came from a new cousin who had really done some fantastic research. I will post about this later because it is such a cool story.


8. It is fun finding relatives even my father has never met from different sides of his family and am able to tell him about them.


9. I enjoy sharing the finds with my sisters, who are thrilled they are not the ones doing the research, but love hearing the stories.


10. I love finding out where my ancestors are buried and especially if I can get a picture of their gravestones. Future generations will not have that option since so many people are cremated these days and their ashes scattered.


Whew!


Here are the blogs that I chose to pass the award to.

3 comments:

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Thank you for the award! That was so kind if you!

my Heritage Happens said...

So sweet! Thank you for honoring me with this award! Congratulations to you also!

Ben Child said...

Congratulations Mary!

The blog looks great. I'm glad to see that you're able to post consistently. I know that it's far easier for me to blog for a month or two only to slack off eventually…

So keep up the great work, and best wishes for your blogging success!